Hanson, MA Town Points of Interest

Fire Tower High Street
Camp Kiwanee
Burrage Pond

Burrage Pond Pictures

Plymouth County Hospital FB

Plymouth County Hospital
In 1923 the Hanson Tuberculosis Hospital was constructed as a sanitarium to treat the victims of TB from Boston and Plymouth County. When the Tuberculosis epidemic
died out due to advances in medicine, the hospital was used as a general hospital under the name Plymouth County Hospital.  The role of the facility changed once again in 1982, when it began providing special long-term care to patients with chronic and terminal illness, such as muscular dystrophy. The 68-bed chronic care facility was thus re-named Cranberry Specialty Hospital.
In 1991, all 60 patients were transferred to a new building 18 miles away in
Middleborough, and the old hospital was shuttered in 1992. The 56-acre property
was sold from Plymouth County to the town of Hanson for $950,000 in 1999.

Nathaniel Thomas Mill

The Nathaniel Thomas Mill occupies the historic site where in the 1690’s, English settlers built a dam and sawmill on Indian Head Brook, and thus commencing the development of what now is the Town of Hanson. Conceived as the centerpiece of Hanson’s Celebration of America’s Bicentennial in 1976, the historic reproduction mill building was constructed by skilled volunteers and has since been managed by the Nathaniel Thomas Mill Committee.